Place Ad
Contact Us

Rebs edge Ads at the end

It was a close game all night, but close wasn’t good enough for No. 3 seed Farragut Admirals.

Farragut was ousted in the District 4-AAA championship game by No. 4 Maryville 56-53 Friday, Feb 24, at Lynn E. Sexton Gymnasium.

With 1:05 remaining in the game, the Admirals had a 50-49 lead after FHS senior Scott Carroll connected on both of his free-throw attempts.

Things looked promising for Farragut after a traveling violation was called on Maryville on their ensuing possession.

Farragut, however, was unable to capitalize on the crucial error and turned the ball over with 45 seconds left leading to a three-point play on lay-up and foul shot from Rebel Tyler Maples, eventual tournament MVP (13 points), on the other end to put the Rebels up 52-50 with 24 seconds left.

A Maryville steal by Curtis Tate with 11 seconds remaining allowed the Rebels to take ann 54-50 lead after two free-throws from Tate.

Will Akers, who led FHS with 14 points, hit a 3-pointer with 3.1 seconds to go to narrow the margin to 54-53 but it was too little too late for the Admirals. Tate hit two more free-throws for Maryville and B.J. Browning’s half-court shot at the buzzer wasn’t close.

Browning added 12 points, Carroll 10, Marcus Huie nine, Zach Onusic six and Mason Burks two.

Akers, Browning and Huie were All-tournament honorees.

The Admirals’ 10-game winning streak was ended, leaving them 20-11 entering this week’s Region 2-AAA tourney at Sevier County).

“I’m proud of the kids, I thought they played hard, they played their hearts out,” FHS head coach Donald Dodgen said. “We just made some little mistakes, turnover here, turnover there and we didn’t shoot the ball very well and that just happens ... everything was left on the floor up there and it was just a great effort from all of them.

“It’s just our offense didn’t do as well as it should have and Maryville had a lot to do with it,” Dodgen added. “Maryville is so big and strong. We could give them some mismatches as long as we are shooting the ball well. They gave us some awful mismatches inside no matter what we did. We tried a zone for a whilem and then they would overload that zone and it just killed us right there tonight. And then we went back to man-to-man and they just killed us one-on-one when they got us backed down there in the post.

FHS 63 WBHS 55

Phil Kinney’s team-leading 15 points, including a pair of clutch three-pointers in the fourth period, helped FHS win in the semifinals. Browning had 12, Onusic 11, and Tyler Powell and Huie eight each.


News | Opinion | Sports | Business | Community | Schools | Obituaries | Announcements
Classifieds | Place Ad | Advertising | Contact Us | Archives | Search

© 2004-2017 farragutpress