Place Ad
Contact Us

Freak goal late earns FHS 3-3 tie with Lady SoccerDawgs

Sometimes luck plays the biggest role in soccer.

At least that’s what happened when rivals Bearden, No. 6-ranked in the state, and No. 5 Farragut finished in a 3-3 draw Thursday, Sept. 27, at Farragut’s Bill Clabo Field.

After trailing the entire game, Farragut’s Alyssa Dresen fired a shot towards the Bearden goal with just under five minutes to go. The shot ricocheted off the head of Bearden defender Taylor Cravanas and into the net to tie the match.

“Ashley Reveiz made a great run down the line and she brought it back in as I was making a run to the top of the box,” Dresen said. “We needed a goal so I thought we should probably shoot the ball and it went off her head and went our way. It might not ever happen again but tonight it did.”

After taking a 3-1 halftime lead, BHS (11-2-1, 4-0-1 in District 4-AAA entering the week) saw its lead slowly disappear in the second half.

“It was a game of two halves,” Farragut head coach Dennis Lindsay said, as his team started the week 12-2-1, 4-0-1. “Bearden came out and got a pretty good lead on us, and in the second half we settled down and took it to them.”

Farragut senior Morgan Plum said going back to basic fundamentals is what led to the second half rejuvenation.

“I think we just thought too hard into it and we just started kicking it around instead of passing to feet and that is how good teams win games,” Plum said. “Luckily we were able to pull something out at the end. It wasn’t enough for a win but tonight we are happy enough to come away with that.”

Farragut brought the score to 3-2 when Ashley Reveiz beat Bearden keeper Sarah Canter to a loose ball and knocked it in with 33:30 left.

The Lady Admirals’ first goal was also scored due to a vacant goal. FHS’s Mindy Hopkins took advantage of a vacant net and closed the deficit 2-1 with 17:30 left in the first half.

“There were two fluky goals,” Bearden head coach Eric Turner said. “We’ve got a goalie that it’s only her second season in soccer and she made a couple mistakes and we paid for them. If we don’t make those mistakes it’s a different ballgame.

“The first goal Farragut scored was kind of what broke the momentum.”

Early on it was all Bearden as the Lady SoccerDawgs pulled out an early 2-0 lead.

Bearden’s Jenni Gordon put the Lady SoccerDawgs up 1-0 with a header off a Samantha Turner corner kick with 23:10 left in the first half.

Freshman Caroline Gianeselli gave Bearden a two goal advantage after knocking it past Farragut keeper Megan Buzzeo about three minutes later.

Bearden’s Tessa Batchelor gave BHS a 3-1 lead with 13 minutes remaining in the first half with a shot from near midfield that Buzzeo misplayed, bouncing over her head into the net.

“It would have been easy to give up,” Lindsay said. “I am very proud of them to keep on fighting. They never stopped until the last whistle was blown so it was a very good day for us.”

For Bearden, the defending Class AAA state champs, it wasn’t such a good day in trying to avenge three losses to FHS last season. The Lady SoccerDawgs were in control the majority of the night, but it wasn’t enough to come away with a win in the end.

“We let one get away tonight,” Turner said. “We gave up two bad goals and a deflection. Farragut did the same thing on one of their goals, a keeper mistake, but that’s what happens in these kinds of games.”


Bearden crushed South Doyle 12-0 Tuesday, Sept. 25 at SDHS. Amy Porter and Gianeselli each scored three goals. Carrie Dance scored two goals while Turner, Anna Gray and Ashley Howarth added one goal apiece.

Lindsay Pompilio and Howarth had three assists each. Porter added two assists, while Turner and Gianeselli aslo contributed assists.


News | Opinion | Sports | Business | Community | Schools | Obituaries | Announcements
Classifieds | Place Ad | Advertising | Contact Us | Archives | Search

© 2004-2017 farragutpress