News
Opinion
Sports
Business
Community
entertainment
Schools
News
Announcements
Classifieds
Place Ad
Advertising
Contact Us
Archives
Search

school briefs




• The first-ever in-school Farragut Middle School Parent Teacher Student Assocation social and donation drive is Friday, Dec. 7.  For a $10 donation to the PTSA, students can enjoy refreshments, a DJ, karaoke and games.  For a $20 or more donation, students are eligible for door prizes, including three new iPod Nano (4gb), each valued at $150, and passes to movies at Regal Cinema.  Proceeds will help replace the outdated computer lab.  For more information, contact Terry Brabston at 865-675-0585.

• Webb School of Knoxville’s Lower School, kindergarten through fifth-grade, will host an Admissions Open House at 9 a.m., Thursday, Nov. 29, in the Lower School Commons on campus. Interested parents are invited to learn about education and admissions at Webb from Webb School president Scott Hutchinson and Lower School director Angie Crabtree. To RSVP or for more information, contact Deborah Gross at 865-291-3864.

• Mehwish Shaukat has accepted the Frances Winship Walters Scholarship and enrolled as a member of the Class of 2010 at Agnes Scott College, an independent national liberal arts and sciences college for women founded in 1889. She is the daughter of Syed Shaukat and Talat Shaukat. Scholarship totals $40,000 over four years. Those selected to be Walters Scholars have excelled in the classroom and in leadership, character and personal achievement. Overall, they have achieved high marks in their GPA, class standing and SAT I or ACT standardized assessment exams. Academics are important, but students are encouraged to explore interests outside the classroom.

• Knoxville Campus of National College of Business & Technology is enrolling now for the first winter term, which begins Monday, Dec. 3. Day and night classes are offered. Campus is also enrolling students for the second winter term, which begins Wednesday, Jan. 2. For additional information, contact the campus at 865-539-2011.

• Mary Roberts has enrolled at Tufts University, located in Medford/Somerville, Mass. Founded in 1852, the college is recognized among the premier universities in the United States. Of the 4,800 undergraduate students at Tufts, approximately 80 percent study in the School of Arts & Sciences, while the remaining 20 percent are enrolled in the School of Engineering.

• As part of Webb School of Knoxville’s Middle School student exchange program with La Escuela Americana in El Salvador, Webb’s Middle School hosted a delegation of 12 middle school students and two chaperones from La Escuela Americana. Students and chaperones arrived Wednesday, Oct. 24, lived with Webb host families and attende classes through Saturday, Nov. 3. Webb’s cultural exchange program with La Escuela Americana, now in its 11th year, strives to promote an understanding of each country’s culture, history, government, traditions, family and school life, and to develop new friendships along the way. Program also provides opportunities to foster the learning of the Spanish language.

• Webb School of Knoxville Class of 1970 graduate, the Rev. David A. Bowen, is the recipient of Webb’s Distinguished Alumnus/na Award for 2007. Award is presented annually to an alumnus/alumna whose business or professional accomplishments and service to others exemplify the goals of Webb School of Knoxville in the spirit of its motto, “principes non homines” – leaders not men. School presented the award, Friday, Oct. 26, during a special Upper School Chapel ceremony in Webb’s Bishop Center auditorium. Prior to Chapel, Bowen spoke with Upper School students in Ms. Rowcliffe’s AP Modern European History class and Mr. Schmid’s World History class. Bowen is married to the former Lee Stewart of Memphis, and has three children: Jeff, Drew and Marie.

 

News | Opinion | Sports | Business | Community | Schools | Obituaries | Announcements
Classifieds | Place Ad | Advertising | Contact Us | Archives | Search

© 2004-2014 farragutpress