Place Ad
Contact Us

Bearden soccer rallies for two wins

A pair of strong second-half performances have produced two come-from-behind wins for the Bearden SoccerDawgs kicking off 2009.

Trailing rival West 1-0 late in the first half, Bearden used a Ryan Campbell goal to tie the game before BHS struck for two late tallies to beat the Rebels 3-1 at WHS’s Bill Wilson Field Friday, March 13.

Opening the season with a come-from-behind 3-2 victory versus Kingsport Dobyns-Bennett Monday, March 9, at BHS’s Bruce Allender Field, the SoccerDawgs improve to 2-0. West falls to 0-1-1.

“We just pull it out in the second half,” said Bearden sophomore forward Sean Yoder, who’s game-wining 45-degree angle shot against West came from about 25-yards out and nestled just inside the left post with 12 minutes to play. “We’re slacking a little bit in the first half.”

Bearden head coach Eric Turner labeled Yoder’s tally “an awesome goal, that was just individual effort.”

Turner said his team recovered after “a horrible first half. … But in the second half we came back and showed a lot of grit and really protected the box well. Offensively we finally had a couple things go our way.

“I thought the defense did an outstanding job, Seth Williams, Isaac Gwin and Scotty Norman,” Turner added. “And Jamie White had a decent game in goal.”

About his eventual game-winning shot — assisted by Adam Wojnar — Yoder said, “I hit it low and hard, and saw their keeper dive.”

Less than two minutes later, Bearden’s Alex Wilkerson added insurance by scoring in traffic from about 12 yards out, assisted by Campbell. “That kinda took the wind out of their sails,” Turner said.

Campbell, tallying the first SoccerDawgs goal after a long lead pass from Billy Miller was perfectly timed, beat charging West goalkeeper Bogachan Akyildiz and punched home the tying goal with 3:55 remaining in the first half.

Also crediting D.J. Pleasant’s maneuvering on the play, Campbell said his SoccerDawgs “need to have that [second-half] fire from the start of the game.”

Rebel Michael Williams scored the game’s first goal in the middle of a scrum from about eight yards out, making it 1-0 at the 32:05 mark of the first half.


Trailing 2-0 in the first half and 2-1 at the break, Bearden rallied to beat the KD-B Indians behind goals from Campbell and Wilkerson, both coming in the first 10 minutes after halftime.

Williams converted the first SoccerDawgs tally. Yoder had two assists, Patrick Harmony one.


News | Opinion | Sports | Business | Community | Schools | Obituaries | Announcements
Classifieds | Place Ad | Advertising | Contact Us | Archives | Search

© 2004-2017 farragutpress