News
Opinion
Sports
Business
Community
entertainment
Schools
News
Announcements
Classifieds
Place Ad
Advertising
Contact Us
Archives
Search

Downtown Farragut plans dropped


At Farragut Municipal Planning Commission’s April 16 meeting, then Mayor Eddy Ford read a letter stating the Downtown Farragut project had come to a halt.

“We are requesting withdrawal of all actions about Southern Home Development regarding the Ford property.

“Please be advised that Southern Home Development has terminated their contract with the Fords. Due to the economic pressures the country is facing, Michael [Bates] wasn’t able to get the money he needed,” Ford said.

“The property owners request that all actions previously requested of the town of Farragut by Southern Home Development, Michael Bates Homes and/or Michael Bates, related to the Ford property, be withdrawn,” he added.


“Michael Bates and Mary Bates are the finest people in the world. We had a two-year relationship with them … and you could not ask for a finer group of people,” Ford said.

“I am proud of what they’ve done and I’m certainly proud of my association with them.

“They really invested their heart and soul in this matter and it is a shame the economic conditions of the Town do not open the door for them to pursue it further,” he added.

FMPC Chair Bob Hill said of the downtown development discussion, “That whole exercise to me was very satisfactory.

“I was certainly disappointed this couldn’t happen, [but] circumstances were simply beyond [Bates’] control,” Hill said.

Representatives from Michael Bates Homes declined to comment.

 

News | Opinion | Sports | Business | Community | Schools | Obituaries | Announcements
Classifieds | Place Ad | Advertising | Contact Us | Archives | Search

© 2004-2014 farragutpress