Place Ad
Contact Us

Dawgs potent, then collapse

The casual observer, looking at the score of the ’09 Bearden-Farragut game won by the Admirals 42-17, might conclude this contest, spread over portions of two nights, was no different than in 2008, won by FHS 48-10.

That observation would be incorrect.

Bearden (5-2, 2-2) and Farragut (6-1, 4-0) traded scores and hard hits over the course of the first 23:11, with the Bulldogs playing well enough to lead 17-14 just before intermission.

Then came one of those plays that almost never works, the “Hail Mary” throw to the end zone that is obligatory near the end of the half.

This one worked.

It was a 43-yarder that saw a Farragut receiver come out of the scrum in the end zone with the ball, giving the Admirals a 21-17 halftime lead. It deflated the Bearden portion of the near-capacity crowd that had gathered under much more pleasant conditions as opposed to 24 hours before.

“The way the first half ended was a disappointment,” defensive end Dillon Wilker said. “I thought it was kind of lucky, actually.”

The improbable scoring play was part of a 28-point Farragut blitzkrieg that turned a gridiron war into a runaway.

“They have a lot of weapons and are a very good football team,” head coach Brad Taylor said. “Their quarterback does a nice job, and they have some good backs. They had guys who made plays. We’re down a few guys, and we’re hurt here and there. When you’re playing a good football team, you want to be at your best. If you don’t play perfect, it’s going to be tough.”

Bearden had gotten on the scoreboard first, taking possession at the Farragut 18, the point where play was suspended Friday night. Kyle Riemer found Peyton Landers on the right side for nine yards before Kyle found the end zone on third and 2 from the FHS 2.

Farragut responded with an impressive 12-play, 80-yard drive to tie it early in the second quarter.

A Riemer pass to Tyler Graham covering 35 yards kicked off the next BHS scoring drive, with Riemer finding Adam Robertson for 15 more. The drive stalled at the 12, and Ben Sisco kicked a 30-yard field goal to give the Bulldogs a 10-7 lead.

Farragut had an immediate response with another 80-yard drive that gave FHS a 14-10 lead with 2:55 left in the second.

Bearden had enough time to rally. Devrin Young took a direct snap and moved quickly for 13 yards before Riemer found Robertson for 15 to the Admirals 40. Riemer then hit Stefon Stephens for 30 yards to the 10. Young scored on the next play.

That left 49.3 seconds in the half, and FHS made the most of it.

Farragut received the second half kickoff and scored the next 21 points, while holding the Bulldogs scoreless.

“We went into halftime thinking that we were only down by four ... we’ve come back all year, but it didn’t end up that way,” wideout Max Guthe said. “I guess they just outplayed us. Tonight, we came in with our heads a little too high and let it get to us.”

Bearden returns home next Friday night for a District 4-AAA contest with Heritage. Opening kickoff is at 7:30 p.m.





News | Opinion | Sports | Business | Community | Schools | Obituaries | Announcements
Classifieds | Place Ad | Advertising | Contact Us | Archives | Search

© 2004-2017 farragutpress