News
Opinion
Sports
Business
Community
entertainment
Schools
News
Announcements
Classifieds
Place Ad
Advertising
Contact Us
Archives
Search

Town receives Farragut cannon


The town of Farragut is the recipient of two U.S. Navy cannon on permanent loan from the U.S. Naval Historical Center.

The cannon are from the USS Hartford, Adm. David Glasgow Farragut’s Civil War flagship, and from the USS Independence.

As a young Navy officer, Adm. Farragut served a Mediterranean tour on the Independence.

The cannon will be placed in a pavilion, currently under construction near Town Hall, that also will house a statue of Adm. Farragut.

The statue will be unveiled in May 2010 as part of the Town’s 30th anniversary celebrations.


“This all began as a dream of Doris [Woods] Owens, and it just grew from there,” Museum committee member Barbara Beeler said. Owens was director of the Farragut Folklife Museum for a number of years and recently retired.

The Town received a 9-inch Dahlgren cannon from the USS Hartford. It weighs 9,000 pounds and is 131 inches long. The gun has a range of nearly two miles. Rear Adm. John A. Dahlgren designed the cannon in the mid-1800s.

The USS Hartford is the ship from which Adm. Farragut uttered the phrase that launched him into infamy: “Damn the torpedoes; full steam ahead.”

The other cannon is from the USS Independence, built in 1914.

Farragut cruised the Mediterranean in the 2,257-ton, 72-gun ship in 1815.

In 1836, the ship was cut down by one deck and re-rated as a 54-gun frigate.

Both cannon are being housed at the town of Farragut Public Works building off Grigsby Chapel Road.

 

News | Opinion | Sports | Business | Community | Schools | Obituaries | Announcements
Classifieds | Place Ad | Advertising | Contact Us | Archives | Search

© 2004-2014 farragutpress