News
Opinion
Sports
Business
Community
entertainment
Schools
News
Announcements
Classifieds
Place Ad
Advertising
Contact Us
Archives
Search

Fire guts Fox Den home


A fire at a Fox Den home overlooking Kingston Pike roared Sunday afternoon, Dec. 20.

Upon arrival, homeowner Raymond Johnson ran through police and rescue-worker barricades to see what was left of his 12122 S. Fox Den Drive home.

The fire was controlled within 40 minutes after dispatch, Rick Herrell of Rural Metro Fire Department said.

By the time Rural Metro arrived, most of the first floor had been incinerated from the back of the house to the front.

Farragut Fire Marshal Dan Johnson said, “There was severe damage to the home.”

“There were no humans in the house … we did have one fatality of a dog,” Herrell said.


Knox County fire inspector has not yet determined a cause for the fire.

For the single alarm fire, Rural Metro deployed fire engines, one ladder truck, one tanker, an ambulance, one squad and 22 men from the Watt Road, Campbell Station Road, Parkside Drive, Bluegrass Road and Cedar Bluff stations.

Rural Metro received calls from neighbors and Kingston Pike motorists, including area resident Tom King, who said they saw smoke coming from the back of the house.

“All along the top of the roof line, there was smoke coming out of the top. And then there was a big thing of smoke coming out of the back of the house,” King said.

He drove to the house from Kingston Pike, arriving to find “no one there.” But King took no chances, going up to the house and trying to ensure no one was inside.

“I walked around to the back of the house and all these flames shot out the back of the house.

“I ran around to the front door, kind of yelling and screaming to see if anyone was there. I reached for the metal door … and just as I reached for it, one of the windows on the front of the house blew out,” King said.

“I ran back to the street at that point … in the middle of all that, I called 911. … Rural Metro got there within five minutes,” he added.

“I was just hoping and praying there was nobody inside that house,” King said.

“I’m sorry it happened to these folks. That’s a horrible time of year for that to happen to anybody,” he added.

“Fires anytime of year are unacceptable, but around Christmastime, they’re just that much more tragic,” Herrell said.

 

News | Opinion | Sports | Business | Community | Schools | Obituaries | Announcements
Classifieds | Place Ad | Advertising | Contact Us | Archives | Search

© 2004-2014 farragutpress