News
Opinion
Sports
Business
Community
entertainment
Schools
News
Announcements
Classifieds
Place Ad
Advertising
Contact Us
Archives
Search

RMFD responds to Soho fire


A fire at a local business has Farragut Fire Marshal Dan Johnson expressing concern that residents be sure to closely monitor their clothes dryers.

At around 1 p.m., Sunday, Jan. 10, a dryer caught fire at Soho Nails and Spa, 11675 Parkside Drive, pictured above.

According to a fire summary, Rural/Metro crews noted lint had begun to build up within the dryer exhaust.

“I suggest that residents check the lint in their dryer exhaust. Make sure it’s clean, because these things can occur,” Johnson said.

Occupants at Soho Nails noticed smoke emanating from the dryer and opened it to find the clothes on fire.


According to the summary, those individuals attempted to extinguish the fire with water and a portable fire extinguisher, but the building fire alarm was activated.

“It was a fire that was contained to the dryer and extinguished by a single sprinkler head, so damage was minimized,” Johnson said. Fire damaged only the dryer; smoke damaged only the room in which the dryer was placed. Water damage from the sprinkler was minimal.

“That did disrupt business for 45 minutes or so,” he added.

The summary stated “minimum disruption of services occurred, due in large part to the effective operation of the fire sprinkler system.”

The sprinkler head was replaced.

 

News | Opinion | Sports | Business | Community | Schools | Obituaries | Announcements
Classifieds | Place Ad | Advertising | Contact Us | Archives | Search

© 2004-2014 farragutpress