Place Ad
Contact Us

Super second quarter sends Bulldogs past Catholic

Left for dead after a 34-13 loss to West a week ago, Bearden came off the mat with a vengeance, knocking off Catholic 33-14 on ”Senior Night 2010” at Bill Young Field.

The Bulldogs, operating on all cylinders offensively and defensively, jumped to a 27-0 halftime lead and never looked back to finish the regular season at 4-3 in District 4-AAA, 7-3 overall.

Catholic also finished 4-3 in 4-AAA, 6-4 overall.

“We took care of the football,” Bearden head coach Brad Taylor said. “That was probably the best-played, well-rounded game we've played all year. We couldn't go into the playoff playing like we did last week. We needed to have a little bit of momentum. Hopefully, this gives us a spark.”

The Bulldogs scored first after a missed Catholic field goal. Quarterback Kyle Riemer, who was exceptional under center all night, found Devrin Young for 14 yards and tight end Sam Manuel for 17 more.

Young, who rushed for 183 yards on 17 carries, earned the TD after the Bulldogs had inched ever so closely goalward from inside the three-yard line.

“Kyle stepped up and bounced back,” Taylor said. “It was a rough week for him, but it wasn't all his fault. ... He played well at Farragut, but this was a heck of a ball game for him.”

In the second quarter, Riemer found Tyler Callaway for a 48-yard gain down the right side.

From the 21, Young ran for 8. Riemer sent the flow to the left and hooked with Callaway for the touchdown in the near right corner. It was a neat catch right on the boundary.

Catholic looked to be headed for a score after a 30-yard completion from quarterback Ryan Ridley to Vic Wharton. With the ball at the 35, Stefon Stephens picked Ridley's pocket.

Young took a pitch right and found the wide-open spaces in front of the Bearden bench, turning on the jets for an 88-yard TD run that stretched the lead to 20-0. “It was an opportunity to get my offense off the field, and I did my best to get the ball into the end zone,” Young said. “Our team was focused and saw what was in front of them. We stepped up and executed. The biggest part is not being our own enemy.”

Catholic head coach Scott Meadows saw that as the game's key play. “That was the back-breaker right there,” Meadows said. “From that point on, we were trying to survive. We got a lot better in the second half. Everybody is 0-0 now. We have to get healthy and go back to work.”

Bearden got another chance with 3:49 left and cashed in that opportunity for another score.

Young converted a fourth-and-2 from the Wildcat formation and Stephens made a key catch on the right side for 20 yards to get the ball deep in Catholic territory.

Young scored at the left side to increase the lead to 27-0. “You can't make mistakes against good teams. ... We transferred everything we did in practice to the game field,” Riemer said. If you do that, it works every time.”

In the third quarter, Catholic got the ball at the Bearden 29 and knocked it home in three plays, a 20-yard run by Trey Leake culminating the effort.

Wharton recovered an onsides kick at the Bearden 47, but the drive died at the 32.

“They didn't do anything special,” Catholic lineman Kyler Kerbyson said. “We got too far down and couldn't come back. ... We didn't play to our potential.”

Bearden’s final TD drive covered 67 yards in seven plays.

Young ran for 27, Riemer hit Callaway for 13 to the 5, and Josh Haney followed a caravan to the right side for the score.

The Fighting Irish had an immediate response, moving 58 yards in 10 plays. Wharton caught a middle screen for 8 and Leake ran for 19 right up the middle.

Nolan Coulter carried in the final touchdown of the evening.


News | Opinion | Sports | Business | Community | Schools | Obituaries | Announcements
Classifieds | Place Ad | Advertising | Contact Us | Archives | Search

© 2004-2017 farragutpress