Place Ad
Contact Us

Loud Rebel yell
Maryville crushes Soccer Ads, grabs 1st-ever win vs. FHS

The Rebel Yell was loud and clear Tuesday night at Farragut Intermediate School Field.

The suddenly powerful Maryville Rebels Boys Soccer team made as much noise on the field as its fans were making in the stands.

And with an MHS student section blowing horns non-stop in pre-game, then joining with adult fans chanting and hollering non-stop during the game, the Rebels soccer boys still kept pace. And them some.

Scoring three times in the game's first 14 minutes combining speed and timely passing, the Rebels dominated the Admirals, 6-0 ,in a milestone win April 12 marked by a post-game celebration at midfield irking some Farragut observers.

According to MHS head coach Steve Feather, it was Maryville's first-ever win against Farragut in boys soccer (reportedly 0-37).

“I think they're young, and we're experienced,” Feather said after the game. “We've been thumped by Farragut a number of times.

“I'm positive that if we see Farragut again, and we fully expect to see Farragut again, it won't be a 6-nil game.”

Immediately following post-game handshakes, Admirals head coach Wallie Culbreth took his team off the field to meet in private in a building behind the FHS bench. Neither Culbreth nor any of his players were available for comment prior to deadline.

Improving to 11-1 overall, Maryville struck fast.

David Lethco's open shot, from the top of the box, went through with 36:40 left in the first half.

The Rebels then used beautiful passing while charging up the left side, with Alex Waddell passing to Lethco near the top of the box in the middle, followed by Lethco's pass right to Kyle Snyder for an open shot, and goal, from about 12 yards out with 26:40 left in the first half.

It took just 40 second to make it 3-0, as Snyder charged up the right side and fed a breaking and open Lethco, who scored from about eight yards out.

Rebel Caleb Lucas had a hand in Maryville's first two second-half goals, both involving nifty passes. Lucas scored off a Snyder assist (36:28 mark) before assisting Josh Maner's goal (32:05).

Lethco buried the dagger deeper with a short goal at the 2:58 mark.

Farragut's best scoring chances in the first half came when Christopher Kszos’ open shot from about 15 yards out sailed high less than six minutes into the game.

Paul Neuefeind, senior forward, had an open 15 yard shot from a 45-degree angle that hit the right upright with 11:18 left.

The Admirals (8-3-1) put more pressure on Maryville's defense in the second half, yet failed to convert a goal.

Culbreth was back coaching Tuesday after serving a three-game suspension, which included missing a Saturday, April 9, Farragut alumni game, according to FHS asisstant coach Bradley Culbreth.


News | Opinion | Sports | Business | Community | Schools | Obituaries | Announcements
Classifieds | Place Ad | Advertising | Contact Us | Archives | Search

© 2004-2017 farragutpress