Place Ad
Contact Us

Hockey Ads freeze out B-K

The Farragut High School hockey club did exactly what it needed to do Thursday, Jan. 12.

The Admirals started fast and cruised to a 7-1 victory over the Bearden/Karns Ice Dawgs in a key Knoxville Area Amateur Hockey Association contest at the Icearium.

“This was a game that we had to have and we were really pumped before the game,” said Farragut sophomore forward Gavin Gauld, who scored a pair of first period goals. “Bearden is a big rival for us and we came out and we had confidence.”

Farragut took a 1-0 lead with 9:14 remaining in the first period when Lucas Despins put the puck past Bearden goaltender Josh Quarles. Gauld was credited with an assist.

Gauld scored the next two goals to the Admirals a 3-0 lead. His first was on the power play and his second came when Farragut was a man down.

Harley Gorlewski closed out the first-period scoring and gave the Ads a 4-0 lead with 1:03 remaining in the frame.

“Our strategy was to come out and dump the puck in and forecheck,” Admirals head coach Rob Despins said. “We tied this team last time and we’re pretty even in the standings.

“I was really happy with our effort but honestly, we got lucky because we got some bounces and nothing was going Bearden’s way. We forechecked well and we didn’t sit on the lead. After we got ahead 5-0, we wanted to tighten up and play a strong defensive game. I told the guys that if we sat on that lead, that we would end up with a tie or a loss and we couldn’t afford that.”

Admirals netminder Dakota Christian was stellar. He finished with 19 saves. “Dakota really played well for us,” Gauld said. “He made some big saves early and he really kept us in the game.

“We have confidence in him.”

Farragut (3-1-1 in KAHA play) added a second-period tally when Gorlewski scored his second goal of the contest 2 minutes, 34 seconds into the stanza.

Bearden (0-2-3 in league play) got its lone goal short-handed late in the frame.

Gage Despins and Thomas Detchemendy scored Farragut’s goals in the third period.

Detchemendy’s marker, the game’s last goal, was unassisted and came with 3:28 remaining. Gage Despin’s goal was assisted by Gorlewski.


News | Opinion | Sports | Business | Community | Schools | Obituaries | Announcements
Classifieds | Place Ad | Advertising | Contact Us | Archives | Search

© 2004-2017 farragutpress